Friday, June 17, 2011

Farming.

I love the smell of freshly turned earth made by the drill on the first pass of the year. Going down on my knees and checking if the seed and fertilizer is placed just right, sifting the moist soil through my fingers and yes deeply inhaling that smell of spring. There's something about that smell that makes me feel young and good and proud all at the same time.

I love seeing the GPS straight crop emerge in perfect rows and progress leaf stage by leaf stage.

I love walking through the early crop checking for weeds and insects, feeling the warm sun on my back and the early summer breeze in my face.

I love scanning the skies in summertime, from the perfect blue early morning sky with nary a cloud, to the late afternoon when the clouds and towering thunderheads develop with the promise of rain.

I love to drive the countryside 'checking' crops, noticing the change in color in the countryside as the crop goes through its stages of growth.

I love standing in the middle of the field with crop gently waving in the breeze, reminding me of the ocean with waves passing through the entire field.

I love the change in color in fall in the crops and trees, seeing the long lines of swaths winding around sloughs and bushes.

I love harvesttime when its go go go, dust flying, fuel stops, meal stops, moving from field to field, moving augers from bin to bin, go go go, gotta get that crop in the bin.

I love the first chill of late fall, the honking of the geese as they migrate south, the first fall of snow blanketing the resting earth.

I love the power of the sun in spring making the creeks and rivers run merrily, and awakening the budding trees and the waiting fields.

I love the continuing cycle of the seasons, every year so much the same, and yet so different.

And O Ya, did I mention; I love farming.
- louie-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Another World.

Gazing at the stars tonight I feel a feeling start to grow An awesomeness, a hunger for something that I don't know I can feel it pull...